Doors & More: Locksmith Resources
A locksmith is a professional who has a specialization in locks. They are called on when someone gets locked out of their cars, drawers, houses, offices and anything else that has a lock. In order to become a locksmith, most interested parties train under an established locksmith as an apprentice. Depending on the licensing requirements in your state, you may have to pass a licensing exam or simply pay a fee to become licensed.
General Locksmith Resources
- eHow: What is a Locksmith's Salary?: Fact sheet on a locksmith’s salary.
- Federal Trade Commission: The Keys to Hiring a Reputable Locksmith: What to look for and consider when choosing a locksmith.
- U.S. News and World Report: Information on the career of a locksmith as one of the best careers.
- Guid to Online Schools: Locksmith: Overview information on locksmith career.
- Michigan Jobs and Career Portal: Locksmith: Detailed information on the job duties and expectations of a locksmith.
- Installation, Maintenance and Repair Occupations: Resources on various installation, maintenance and repair occupations including locksmiths.
- Locksmith Training: Information on diploma program for locksmithing.
- Professional Locksmithing: Program information and overview for locksmithing program.
- Locksmith Programs: Program summary and objectives for locksmith training.
- Locksmithing: Admission and curriculum information for locksmithing career.
- Locksmith Certificate Program: Locksmith certificate program information.
- Classification and Qualification Standards: Classification and qualification standards within the locksmith series.
Types of Locks
- Do It Yourself: Different Types of Door Locks: Information on the various types of door locks.
- Builders Hardware Manufacturers Association: Types of Locks: A guide to the terminology used for builders hardware and types of locks.
- Record Holders: World's Largest Padlocks: Records of the world’s largest padlocks.
- Consumer Reports: Door Locks, Types: Door lock information including the different types of locks.
- Lock Picking: Lock Picks: Types of lock picks and application information.
- How Stuff Works: How Lock Picking Works: About lock picking and how it works.
- Lock Picking 101: Lock picking forum, with information on picking, hardware, and groups.
- The Lockpick Library: Lock Picking Techniques and Lock Picking Guides: List of lock picking techniques and guides.
- MIT Guide to Lock Picking: Guide to lock picking as provided by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Notes on Picking Pin Tumbler Locks: Notes provided by the University of Pennsylvania on picking pin tumbler locks.
- Lock Picking: Lock picking PDF document explaining how locks are made and about lock picking.
- Lock Picking Ethics - An article discussing the ethics of picking a certain brand of lock and then advertising to others how to do the same.
Hardware – Locks, Picks, Sets
- Self Defense Products: Lock Picks: Information on lock picks and available products.
- Lock Pick Shop: Lock Pick Sets: Link to over 50 sets of lock picks for locksmiths to choose from.
- Lock Picks: Resource to provide customers with access to lock picks and other locksmith tools.
- Lock Pickers Mall: Source of products used for lock picking.
- Lock Pick Sets - An article explaining how to go about getting a lock picking set including information on the different types available.